Friday, March 02, 2007

34x18 X 18x20



Being a physics teacher is tough. It is really not my fortay. I enjoy teaching biology and environmental science better, but a little physics is interesting. Plus, the kids in the class are great. Anyway, we were talking about simple machines and then moving towards the topic of complex machines. My co-teacher suggested to maybe find an activity that invloves a bike for the students to figure out. I was thinking, right on, I already have an idea. What better way to incorporate a bicycle in the classroom than to have it sharpen your pencil. Through a little fabrication in the students technical shops, we introduce the fixed gear pencil sharpener. We had a blast timing how long it took to grind a pencil down to the eraser. The secrets of winter training are revealed to all. By sharpening ten pencils a day one will be in top form to out sprint Daisey on the Dairy Rd loop. Daisey is a huge rotweiler that chills at this farm on one of the sweetest road and moutain loops in my area. I have seen Daisey eating the carcass of a dead animal on one occasion before tearin' after my skinny ass. The Dutch Eagle and I have devised a plan to tape lunch meat to our frames to fend of the beast the next time where out there.

No comments: